Robroyston Hospital, Glasgow
Reference HB 36
Dates of Creation 1903-1977
Name of Creator Robroyston Hospital (tuberculosis and maternity hospital : 1918-1977 : Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 4 metres
Scope and Content
Registers of patients 1919-1977
Registers of operations 1939-1977
Registers of vaccinations 1942-1976
Registers of births 1945-1977
Register of mantoux tests 1955-1976
Case notes, tuberculosis patients 1925-1927
Notes regarding tuberculosis patients sent to Switzerland 1951-1955
Mortuary books 1920-1977
Accident books 1962-1976
Patient and bed statistics 1941-1977
Maps and plans 1903-1946
Administrative / Biographical History
Robroyston Hospital was built as a municipal smallpox and tuberculosis hospital and opened in 1918 . It was temporarily used as a military hospital in 1918-19. By 1925 450 beds at Robroyston were devoted to tuberculosis patients, almost half of Glasgow's total complement. In 1945 a maternity unit was added. In 1948 Robroyston joined the National Health Service under the Board of Management for Glasgow Northern Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the Northern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. In 1977 Robroyston was closed. There was some controversy about the sale of the land at the hospital to a property developer on terms that were criticised as being unfavourable to the NHS.
Chronological within record class
Robroyston Hospital, Glasgow, Scotland
Other Finding Aids
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archivist, 23 July 1998, revised 8 March 2019.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer
HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow; HB 55, Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board; HB 32, Records of Glasgow Northern Hospitals Board of Management/District.
Halliday, J Review of arrangements for sale of Robroyston Hospital (1980)