Riccartsbar Hospital, Renfrewshire
Reference AC 17
Dates of Creation 1876-1975
Name of Creator Riccartsbar Hospital (psychiatric hospital: 1876-1975: Renfrewshire)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 6 metres
Scope and Content
Board of Control (Paisley) Minute Book, 1928-1930;
Purchase Ledger Inventory, 1909-1952;
Case notes, 1876-1958;
Administrative / Biographical History
Riccartsbar Hospital was opened in June 1876 as an Asylum serving Paisley and Johnstone Burghs, and was administered by Paisley District Lunacy Board. From 1948-64 it was administered by Renfrewshire Mental Hospitals Board and from 1964-8 by Dykebar and Associated Hospitals Board. In 1968 it came under the control of the Board of Management for Paisley and District Hospitals. It closed in 1975 and the patients were transferred to Dykebar Hospital. Riccartsbar was subsequently demolished. The records of Riccartsbar were also transferred to Dykesbar after its closure.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Appraised according to standard procedures.
The records of the institution were surveyed in the 1980s by Mrs Alma Topen. They remained at Dykebar until October 2008 when they were formally accessioned by the Greater Glasgow and Clyde Health Board Archive.
AB 1, Records of Argyll and Clyde Health Board; AC 20, Records of Renfrewshire Mental Hospitals Board / Dykebar and Associated Hospitals Board; AC 21, Records of Paisley and District Hospitals Board of Management; HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.