Redlands Hospital for Women, Glasgow
Reference HB 10
Dates of Creation 1870-1985
Name of Creator Redlands Hospital for Women (women's hospital: 1902-1978: Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 2 metres
Scope and Content
Clinical records, 1903-1929;
Photographs, paintings, etc, 1870-1972;
Maps and plans, 1870-1923.
Administrative / Biographical History
Founded in 1902 as the Glasgow Women's Private Hospital, it was staffed entirely by women until 1955. Unlike the voluntary hospitals it charged modest fees for its services. In 1948 it was absorbed into the ambit of the Western Regional Health Board under which it functioned as a gynaecology and obstetrics unit, particularly for paying patients. Redlands was under the Board of Management for Glasgow Maternity and Women's Hospitals from 1948 to 1974 and then in the Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. The Hospital closed in 1978.
Conditions Governing Access
Because of the sensitive nature of much of the information contained in these records there is a 75 year closure period on all patient records. There is a 100 year closure period on records of minors.
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
None which affect the use of this material.
Appraised according to standard procedures.
No further accruals expected.
Dow, D Redlands House: hospital, hostel and home (1985)