Larkfield Hospital, Greenock
Dates of Creation 1929-1975
Name of Creator Larkfield Hospital (hospital: 1929-1975 : Greenock)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 1.00 meter
Scope and Content
Minute books, 1929-1939;
Miscellaneous other records;
Administrative / Biographical History
In the 1920s Greenock Royal Infirmary launched an appeal for money to build a convalescent home for its patients. This was opened in 1929 and was known as Larkfield Auxiliary Hospital. It originally admitted convalescent patients only. By 1943 Larkfield was treating all the Greenock Royal Infirmary's medical cases. A new ward block, designed by the Nuffield Provincial Hospitals Trust, was completed in 1957. With the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital joined the Board of Management for the Greenock and District Hospitals. In 1974 it passed into the care of the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and Clyde Board and was closed in 1979.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Appraised in line with standard procedures.
AB 1: Argyll and Clyde Health Board; AC 1 Greenock Royal Infirmary; AC 9: Records of Greenock and District Hospitals Board of Management; GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.