Knightswood Hospital, Glasgow
Dates of Creation 1909-1982
Name of Creator Knightswood Hospital (hospital: 1877-2000 : Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 0.50 meters
Scope and Content
Maps and plans, 1909-1982.
Administrative / Biographical History
Knightswood Hospital was built jointly by the burghs of Hillhead, Maryhill and Partick and opened in 1877. It became a Glasgow Corporation hospital when the city boundaries were widened in 1912. From 90 beds it was expanded to a 256 bed capacity by 1946, by which date it was catering for smallpox and tuberculosis patients. Following the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 the hospital came under the Board of Management for Glasgow Western Hospitals. Cardiology, neurology and respiratory medicine units moved to Knightswood during the 1950s and 1960s.
As the scale of Glasgow hospital provision shrank, between 1974 and 1990, these specialties returned to the Western Infirmary. Knightswood thus became a geriatric unit. Knightswood was the location of a laundry and infusion fluids laboratory providing services to a large group of hospitals. The last geriatric patients at Knightswood Hospital were decanted by March 2000 and the hospital was then closed.
Arranged by series.
Conditions Governing Access
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Appraised in line with standard procedures.
No further accruals expected.
HB 55: Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board; HB 85: Records of Regional Infusion Fluids Laboratory, Glasgow; HB 6 and HH 66: Records of Western Infirmary, Glasgow; HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.