Killearn Hospital, Stirlingshire
Reference HB 43
Dates of Creation 1940-1972
Name of Creator Killearn Hospital (emergency hospital: 1940-1972: Stirlingshire)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 1 metre
Scope and Content
Maps and plans, 1966-1967;
Case notes, 1942-1943.
Administrative / Biographical History
Killearn was an EMS (Emergency Medical Service) Hospital and opened in 1940. Its site, 15 miles North West of Glasgow was chosen deliberately in the expectation that the major cities would suffer massive damage from aerial bombardment. By the end of the Second World War the Hospital had 640 beds and housed neuro-surgical, orthopaedic and peripheral nerve injury specialist units. It joined the NHS in 1948 and was placed under the Board of Management for Glasgow Western Hospitals.
The isolated location of the hospital was inconvenient for patients and their families and for visiting medical staff, not least because passenger railway services to Killearn had been withdrawn in the 1930s. The nature of the hospital buildings, a very large number of rapidly erected hutments spread over a big area, also militated against the continued use of the hospital. Over a period of years parts of the work of Killearn Hospital were transferred elsewhere. It was finally closed in 1972.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Appraised according to standard procedures.
There is a series of registers of operations conducted by the Institute of Neurological Sciences that are held as part of the Southern General Hospital records [HB17/10/1-21]. These operations were carried out at Killearn until 1972 and the Southern General thereafter
Additionally, related material can be found in the following collections:
HB 37: Records of Glasgow Western (and Gartnavel) Hospitals Board of Management; HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board; HB121: Papers of Theresa Clarke