Henry Brock Memorial Hospital, Alexandria

Reference AC 50
Dates of Creation 1939-1948
Name of Creator Henry Brock Memorial Hospital (hospital : 1924-1977 : Alexandria)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 0.2 metres

Scope and Content

Minutes 1939-1948
Reports 1947-1948

Administrative / Biographical History

Henry Brock Memorial Hospital  opened in  1924  in a converted mansion house (Broomley House). The hospital was built with money bequeathed by Henry Brock of Darleith and consisted of 2 general wards, 1 children’s ward, 1 ward for private patients, an operating theatre, an x-ray room and outpatients department. In  1955  the Vale of Leven District General Hospital was built on the grounds of the Henry Brock Memorial Hospital which subsequently became an integral part of the new hospital. In 1956 the hospital became a geriatric unit and chronic sick assessment centre. In  1977  a new geriatric unit was opened in the Vale of Leven Hospital and all remaining patients were removed from the Henry Brock building.

Chronological within record class

Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions

Acquisition Information
Argyll and Clyde Acute Hospitals NHS Trust

Other Finding Aids
Descriptive list

Alternative Form Available
No known copies

Archivist's Note
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archivist, 23 July 1998, revised 1 March 2019

Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.

Appraisal Information
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures

Custodial History
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer

None expected

Related Material
AB 1 Argyll and Clyde Health Board; AC 40, Records of Vale of Leven District General Hospital; HB28 Western Regional Hospital Board