Greenock Royal Infirmary
Dates of Creation 1810-1979
Name of Creator Greenock Royal Infirmary (hospital: 1810-1979 : Greenock)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 10.00
Scope and Content
Miscellaneous other records;
Ward journals, 1870-1930.
Administrative / Biographical History
A dispensary for the treatment of the Sick Poor was established in 1801. This was incorporated into the Infirmary in 1809. In 1806 an epidemic of typhus fever prompted the erection of a Fever House of Recovery. This opened in 1809. Two wings were added in 1822 and a further extension was opened in 1847. A new Infirmary for the treatment of medical and surgical cases was opened in 1868 with fourteen wards. In 1930 Larkfield Auxiliary Hospital was built as a convalescent home for Infirmary patients. By 1943 Larkfield was accepting all the medical cases, leaving the Royal to handle the surgical and emergency cases. The Infirmary became Greenock Royal Infirmary in 1922, in recognition of the valuable work done for soldiers and sailors during World War One. In 1948, with the advent of the National Health Service, the management of the Greenock Royal was assumed by the Board of Management for Greenock and District Hospitals. In 1974 it passed into the care of the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and Clyde Board. With the completion of Inverclyde Royal Hospital in 1979 Greenock Royal closed.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Appraised in line with standard procedures.
Gillen, V and Murray, L Scrapbook of health care, Cartsburn Publishing, 2019
AB 1: Argyll and Clyde Health Board; AC 9: Records of Greenock and District Hospitals Board of Management; GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.