Greenock Eye Infirmary
Dates of Creation 1880-1978
Name of Creator Greenock Eye Infirmary (hospital: 1880-1978 : Greenock)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 1.00 meter
Scope and Content
Annual reports, 1895-1911;
Financial records, 1916-1948;
Register of patients, 1926-1979
Administrative / Biographical History
James Ferguson bequeathed £6,000 to provide an Eye Infirmary in Greenock. The Trustees rented a consulting room in Greenock Infirmary, and in 1880 the first oculist was appointed. A separate Eye Infirmary was opened in 1894. Until 1921 the Infirmary catered for both eye and ENT patients. With the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948, the Eye Infirmary joined the Board of Management for the Greenock and District Hospitals. In 1974 it passed into the care of the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and Clyde Board. The Infirmary closed in 1979.
Arranged by series.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Appraised in line with standard procedures.
No further accruals expected.
AB1 Argyll and Clyde Health Board; AC 9: Records of Greenock and District Hospitals Board of Management; GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.