Greenock Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital
Dates of Creation 1939-1966
Name of Creator Greenock Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital (hospital: 1939-1966 : Greenock)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 1.00 meter
Scope and Content
Miscellaneous other records.
Administrative / Biographical History
In 1894, ear, nose and throat patients, formerly treated in Greenock Royal Infirmary, were transferred to a new ENT department within the Eye Infirmary. In 1921, the ENT department was transferred to the old prison buildings in Nelson Street where it remained for a decade. A new hospital was built in Eldon Street, with provision for twenty in-patients. It also had an out-patients department and worked in co-operation with Greenock Royal Infirmary. With the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital joined the Board of Management for the Greenock and District Hospitals. In 1974 it passed into the care of the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and Clyde Board and was closed in 1979.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Appraised in line with standard procedures.
No further accruals expected.
AB 1: Records of Argyll and Clyde Board; AC 9: Records of Greenock and District Hospitals Board of Management; HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.