Glasgow Opthalmic Institution
Reference HB 47
Dates of Creation 1870-1965
Name of Creator Glasgow Opthalmic Institution (eye clinic : 1868-1982 : Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 1.5 metres
Scope and Content
Annual reports 1870-1940
Administrative / Biographical History
The Glasgow Ophthalmic Institution opened in 1868 and was located at 126 West Regent St from 1872 until 1982. The Institution was "... for the treatment of diseases and injuries of the eye in the cases of the afflicted poor ...". Although it did treat in-patients, the great bulk of its work was with out-patients. It also provided clinical teaching. From 1892 until 1948 the Institution was administered by the Glasgow Royal Infirmary although it continued to have separate subscribers and funds. In 1948 it joined the National Health Service under the Board of Management for the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and Associated Institutions. Its separate existence came to an end with the completion of the Department of Ophthalmology at Glasgow Royal Infirmary in 1981-1982 .
Chronological within record class
Conditions Governing Access
Normal 30 year and 75 year closures apply
Glasgow Royal Infirmary
Other Finding Aids
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archivist, 23 July 1998, revised 28 February 2019.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer
HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow; HB 55, Records of Greater Glasgow Health Board; HB 14, Records of Glasgow Royal Infirmary; and HB 89, Records of William John Brownlow Riddell, British ophthalmologist, c.1899-1976.
Riddell, W J B Glasgow Ophthalmic Institution, 1868-1968, Glasgow Board of Management for Glasgow Royal Infirmary and Associated Hospitals, 1968 .