Glasgow Eye Infirmary
Dates of Creation 1824-1973
Name of Creator
Glasgow Eye Infirmary (hospital: 1824-1990s: Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 8.00 meters
Scope and Content
Annual reports, 1824-1859;
Auxiliary Association minutes, 1950-1976;
Case sheets, 1932, 1937-1938;
Directors' minutes, 1824-1948;
House Committee and other minutes, 1874-1948;
Medical illustrations, including some used for teaching, 20th century;
Miscellaneous papers, including file re: Civil Defence (1951-1952), 1922-1973;
Operations registers, 1936-1960;
Pathological journals, 1920-1963;
Register of members (subscribers) and directors, 1912-1943;
Registers of patients, 1937-1962;
Research papers, including those of Professor W J B Riddell and Professor A Lowenstein, 20th century;
Salary records, 1929-1942;
Photographs of facilities and staff, 19th and 20th centuries;
Spencer Research Committee minutes, 1946-1954;
Waiting lists, 1945-1959.
Administrative / Biographical History
The Glasgow Eye Infirmary was founded in 1824. In 1874 it moved into purpose built accommodation in the West End of Glasgow at Berkeley Street which, by the late 1880s, had over 100 beds. The Infirmary continued to run an outpatients department in the East End. In 1945 the Spencer Research Committee was formed with capital of over £12,000, to oversee research in the GEI. In 1971 the entire in-patient accommodation at Berkeley Street was destroyed by fire: an outpatients department continued there. From 1948-1974 the Glasgow Eye Infirmary was under the Board of Management for Glasgow Western (later Western and Gartnavel) Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the Western District of the Greater Glasgow Helath Board and in 1993 it became the responsibility of the West Glasgow University NHS Trust. In the late 1990s the functions of the GEI were re-located to Gartnavel General Hospital.
Arranged in series.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on the medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Appraised according to standard procedures.
No further accruals expected. Almost all patient case notes were destroyed by flooding in the Infirmary's basement in the 1990s.
HB89, Prof W J B Riddell HB 37, Board of Management for Glasgow Western (later Western and Gartnavel) Hospitals HB 28, Western Regional Hospital Board HB55, Greater Glasgow Health Board.
Thomson, A M W, Life and Times of Dr William Mackenzie, founder of Glasgow Eye Infirmary (Robert Maclehose and Co., Glasgow, 1973).