Gateside Hospital, Greenock
Dates of Creation 1908-1979
Name of Creator Gateside Hospital (hospital: 1908-1979 : Greenock)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 1.00 meter
Scope and Content
Annual report, 1933;
Financial records, 1908-1954;
Ward journals, 1926-1945.
Administrative / Biographical History
Greenock and District Combination Hospital, later known as Gateside Infectious Diseases Hospital, was opened in 1908. As the original name implies, representatives from the corporations of Greenock, Gourock, Port Glasgow, and from Renfrew County Council jointly managed it. With the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital joined the Board of Management for the Greenock and District Hospitals. In 1974 it passed into the care of the Inverclyde District of the Argyll and Clyde Board and closed in 1979. As the incidence of infectious diseases fell in the 1950s and 1960s so the hospital changed its function to orthopaedic surgery, paediatric medicine and general medicine.
Arranged by series.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Appraised in line with standard GB procedures.
No further accruals expected.
AC 9: Records of Greenock and District Hospitals Board of Management; HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.