Foresthall Home and Hospital, Glasgow
Reference HB 29
Dates of Creation 1931-c.1973
Name of Creator Foresthall Home and Hospital (hospital : 1850-1980s : Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 0.1 metres
The main archive of Foresthall Home and Hospital is held by Glasgow City Archives
Scope and Content
Annual Report 1931
Notes regarding hospital history c.1973
Administrative / Biographical History
Foresthall Hospital opened in 1850 as Barnhill Poorhouse it was renamed Foresthall Home and Hospital in 1945 . It remained under the control of Glasgow Corporation as a "non-transferred institution" under the 1947 National Health Service (Scotland) Act. It catered mainly for vagrants but had a geriatric section which was supervised by the Glasgow Northern Hospitals Board of Management / District. The geriatric section was closed in stages between 1978 and 1983 with the patients being dispersed to Belvidere, Duke Street, Ruchill and Stobhill Hospitals. The hospital was demolished in the late 1980s.
Chronological within record class
Conditions Governing Access
Other Finding Aids
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow Health Board Archivist, 23 July 1998
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow, HB 99, Memoirs of Bernard Isaacs and HB 32, Records of Glasgow Northern Hospitals Board of Management/District.