Elder Cottage Hospital, Glasgow
Dates of Creation 1903-1987
Name of Creator Elder Cottage Hospital (hospital: 1903/1904-1987: Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 0.50 meters
Scope and Content
Admissions books, 1948-1987;
Hospital records, 1903-1984;
Register of operations, 1973-1984.
Administrative / Biographical History
Endowed in memory of John Elder, a shipbuilder, the Elder Cottage Hospital opened in 1903-1904. It was a general medical and surgical hospital and associated with the Western Infirmary until 1948 when it became a surgical unit under the Board of Management for Glasgow South Western Hospitals. The hospital was transferred to the South Western District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board in 1974. It closed in 1987.
Arranged by series.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Appraised in line with standard procedures.
HB 6, Western Infirmary HB 17, Southern General Hospital HB 28, Western Regional Hospital Board HB 55, Greater Glasgow Health Board