Eastern District Hospital, Glasgow
Dates of Creation 1904-1985
Name of Creator Eastern District Hospital (hospital: 1904-1992: Duke Street, Glasgow)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 2.00 meters
Scope and Content
Registers of patients, 1904-1973;
Registers of nurses, 1904-1954;
Nursing report books, c1960s;
Building contracts and specifications, 1959-1985.
Administrative / Biographical History
The Eastern District Hospital (usually known as Duke Street Hospital) was built as a 240 bed acute hospital by Glasgow Parish Council and opened in 1904. It has been suggested that the hospital contained the first psychiatric assessment wards to be incorporated in a Scottish general hospital. In 1930 it was transferred to Glasgow Corporation and in 1948 came into the National Health Service under the Board of Management for Glasgow Royal Infirmary. A new maternity unit was added in the 1940s and upgrading of facilities continued through the 1950s. A psychiatric out-patients department was opened in 1970. Duke Street was placed in the Eastern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board in 1974. In 1977 the maternity unit was transferred to the new Rutherglen Maternity Hospital. Thereafter the hospital became a geriatric unit. It closed in 1992.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
Appraised according to standard procedures.