Dumbarton Cottage Hospital
Reference AC 39
Dates of Creation 1897-1952
Name of Creator Dumbarton Cottage Hospital (hospital: 1890-1980: Dumbarton)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 0.8m
Scope and Content
Minutes of Dumbarton Cottage Hospital, 1900-1937;
Minutes of Dumbarton Social Union, 1897-1948;
Visitors’ book, 1899-1951;
Treasurers accounts, Dumbarton Cottage Hospital, 1911-1932;
Dumbarton Social Union bank books, 1938-1952;
Dumbarton Social Union list of office bearers and members, 1942-1943.
Administrative / Biographical History
Dumbarton Cottage Hospital was erected in 1890 on ground purchased by former Provost John McAusland, who would later become honorary president of the Dumbarton Social Union. The original building consisted of a central administration block with two wings on either side, and could hold 8 non-infectious patients. At a later date, an additional wing was added, providing accommodation for six new beds and an operating room.
The hospital functioned largely as a gynaecological unit. Though there was no resident doctor at the hospital, it was normal practice for a visiting surgeon from Glasgow to perform operations.
In 1897, administrative control of the hospital passed to Dumbarton Social Union, founded in 1895. Following the inception of the National Health Service in 1948, administrative control passed over to the Western Regional Hospital Board.
In 1980, the hospital was closed after all gynaecological and surgical cases were moved to the Vale of Leven Hospital. However, the Cottage Hospital re-opened in 1982 as a day centre for psycho-geriatric patients.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no clinical records in the collection. Subsequently, the records are open.
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
None which affect the use of this material.
Appraised according to standard procedure.