Caldwell House, Uplawmoor
Dates of Creation 1929-1977
Name of Creator Caldwell House (hospital: 1929-1977 : Uplawmoor)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 1.00 meter
Scope and Content
Case notes, 1937-1942;
Report books, 1929-1973.
Administrative / Biographical History
The present Caldwell House was begun in 1773 by William Mure of Glanderstoun. The Adam Brothers decorated much of the interior. In 1929 it was converted into a hospital for mental defectives by the Govan Board of Control: many of the first patients had previously been accommodated at the Southern General Hospital. From 1948, Caldwell House was managed by the Board of Management for Lennox Castle and Associated Hospitals. In 1948 the separate building known as the Manual Block was converted to provide classrooms and dining accommodation to give better facilities for occupational training. In 1974 the hospital passed to the administrative control of the Renfrew District of Argyll and Clyde Health Board. Caldwell House closed in the mid-1980s.
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors.
Other Finding Aids
A paper based finding aid can be located in the searchroom.
AC 57 Renfrew District of Argyll and Clyde Health Board; HB 20: Records of Lennox Castle Hospital, Lennoxtown, Stirlingshire; HB 24: Records of Leverndale Hospital, Hawkhead, Renfrewshire; GB 812 HB 28: Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow.