Birdston Hospital, Stirlingshire
Reference HB 33
Dates of Creation 1900-1979
Name of Creator
Birdston Hospital (hospital : 1900-1992 : Stirlingshire)
Language of Material English
Physical Description 0.5 metres
Scope and Content
Plans of buildings and utilities 1960-1967
Administrative / Biographical History
Birdston Hospital opened in 1900 as Lennox Joint Hospital, serving parts of Dunbartonshire and Stirlingshire. In 1948 it joined the National Health Service under the Board of Management for Dunbartonshire Hospitals. It was an Infectious Disease hospital and, from the 1940s, a tuberculosis hospital until 1960 when it was transferred to the Board of Management for Kirkintilloch and Kilsyth Hospitals, renamed Birdston and transformed into a geriatric unit of 47 beds. In 1974 Birdston was placed in the Northern District of the Greater Glasgow Health Board. Birdston was closed in 1992 .
Chronological within record class
Conditions Governing Access
There is a 75 year closure period on medical records of adults, and a 100 year closure period on medical records of minors
Lenzie Hospital, Lenzie, Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire
Other Finding Aids
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Compiled by Alistair Tough, Greater Glasgow NHS Board Archivist, 23 July 1998 amended 19 February 2019.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard procedures
Records held within National Health Service prior to transfer
Accruals: None expected
HB 28, Records of Western Regional Hospital Board, Glasgow and HB 32, Records of Glasgow Northern Hospitals Board of Management/District