Who can use the eGates to enter the UK?

Please see this section for information on who can use the eGates, and, how to use the eGates, when you enter the UK.

Who can use eGates to enter the UK?

If you have been granted a Student visa sticker in your passport, or if you are a non-visa national who is applying for leave to study for less than 6 months under the Standard Visitor visa route, you may be eligible to use the eGates on arrival.

In addition to UK, EU and EEA nationals who can already use eGates, nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America will also be able to use the eGates.  Please however note the following important points:

  • You cannot use eGates if you are travelling with children under 12
  • You cannot use eGates if you are using a national ID card or passport which does not have a biometric chip

More travellers are now able to use eGates on arrival in the UK at 15 major airports (including Glasgow, Edinburgh and Heathrow airports) and Eurostar terminals. EGates use facial recognition technology to check your identity against the photo in your passport and therefore the arrival process should be much quicker. For more information, please see UKVI's eGates information and video.

Electronic Visa Waiver

Who can apply for an Electronic Visa Waiver

If you are a national of Kuwait, Oman, Qatar or the United Arab Emirates, you may be able to obtain a visa for a short course of study (where the course lasts 6 months or less) by using the Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW).

When you get your Electronic Visa Waiver evidence check it to ensure that:

  • Your personal details are correct, and,
  • The type of leave to enter granted is correct and,
  • It is valid for the date on which you want to travel and for the correct duration.