Council Tax

Find out more about Council Tax, including how to check if you are eligible for an exemption or discount and the exemption application process

Council tax and dependants

If an international student is living with their partner, who is not a British citizen, and is prevented by the terms of their Leave to Enter or Remain from taking paid employment or having recourse to public funds, the partner, as a student dependent, will also be exempt from paying Council Tax. 

If you are accompanied by your partner you should provide both confirmation of your student status as well as showing the Council Tax office the visa page in your partner's passport. We would advise taking this in person to the local Council Tax Office. 

If the partner of an international student is an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen and is therefore not prevented by immigration conditions from taking employment or having recourse to public funds, they are not exempt from paying Council Tax.