Non-EEA nationals

Non-EEA nationals (Student Route visa holders)

Non-EEA students (and their dependants) who hold a visa of more than 6 months are required to pay a contribution to the cost of healthcare for the full duration of that visa. This is called the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) and is paid as part of the visa application process.

The IHS fee is calculated based on the total length of your visa.  To find out more details about the IHS, including how much you would need to pay, please see the UKVI website.

Non-EEA nationals (Standard Visitor visa holders)

Non-EEA students coming to study in the UK for less than 6 months who hold a Standard Visitor visa, do not have to pay the IHS.

Useful links

NHS treatment for overseas students in the UK

UKCISA: Information about NHS treatments entitlement

Healthcare in the UK

Healthcare in the UK is mainly provided through the National Health Service (NHS). Please refer to the section relevant to you below for further information.

NHS 24 and Out of Hours Care

NHS 24 phone service - 111

NHS 24 is a telephone advice and triage service that covers the out of hours period when your GP surgery is closed and you are too ill to wait until it re-opens.  You can access this service 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.  You will speak to a suitable health professional who will talk to you about your symptoms and tell you what you need to do; such as treating yourself at home or going to see a doctor.

You can contact the NHS 24 phone service by dialing 111.  This is a free service.

NHS 24 online resources

NHS 24 provides a number of online tools and resources to help you manage your health and find health services in your area through the NHS inform website.