Reach works with S4-S6 pupils with an interest in and ability to study a professional degree in Dentistry, Law, Medicine or Veterinary Medicine and Surgery.
Reach in the west of Scotland is co-ordinated by the University of Glasgow and works with 95 schools across the region. To find out if your school takes part, visit our Target School page.
Reach will ensure that you are well prepared for the transition to University
Participants gain an understanding of career pathways, experiences of university learning and teaching, support with every aspect of the application process and advice from staff and students on becoming a dentist, law professional, doctor or vet.
As well as providing a valuable and engaging experience, completing the assessed elements of the Reach programme means that you can benefit from adjusted entry requirements with the Schools of Dentistry, Law, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Glasgow.
The Reach programme runs for three years from S4 to S6.
Here’s a summary of what you will do in each year:
- An initial school session (Jan/Feb of S4) will introduce you to each of the four subjects and specific aspects of professional degree study. It will also look at entry qualifications for each of the four areas and ensure that you gain a clear understanding of which subjects you will need to sit in your Highers. You need to complete a 300 word assignment within ONE week of the school session.
- The second school session (Oct/Nov of S5) will introduce you to an assignment set by the four professional schools (Dentistry, Law, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine). We will guide you through how to research the topic and how to write a university-level essay. You will be assessed on your participation in this session and on the 750 word assignment you submit two weeks after the session.
- You will be invited to the Campus Week experience (mid-June) to take part in subject-specific lectures, seminars and workshops delivered by current staff and students. The week will also involve sessions regarding UCAS applications, personal statements, UKCAT, LNAT tests and interview preparation.
- The focus of Reach in S6 will be to prepare and support you during the final stages of the application process, with particular emphasis on Personal Statement writing.
- If you’re intending to apply to Medicine, Vet Medicine or Dentistry you will be invited to take part in an Interview Skills workshop (November of S6) at the University campus with staff and current students.
Reach Scotland is a national programme that aims to encourage, support and prepare pupils for the study of a professional degree at the Universities of Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh or St. Andrews.
Once you have successfully completed the Reach programme, Dentistry, Law, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at the University of Glasgow will be notified and your application will be considered in line with our adjusted entry requirements.
Please note that the taking part in the Reach programme is NOT a guarantee of an offer or place at Glasgow.
If you're a teacher, we have specific information for you.