Each year pupils attend our Summer School to benefit from an adjusted offer of entry and to help prepare for university life.
Summer School registration: Before registering for Summer School please download and read our Summer School registration notes. Once you are ready to register for Summer School please register via our Direct Admissions System. Registration is now open and will close on May 6th. We will not be able to accept any applications received after this date.
If you are an S5 or S6 pupil at a target school, or an adult applicant to Glasgow who has come through a College or Open Studies route, you are eligible to apply for a place on the four week programme.
Summer School takes place on our campus in the west end of Glasgow from 18 June – 13 July 2018. You study two academic subjects of your choice, plus a compulsory online academic skills course. Classes run from Monday – Friday and although timetables vary depending on subjects chosen, you can expect to have around 20 hours of contact time each week. You can also use the student unions, sports facilities, library and some student support services.
Summer School will prepare you for making the transition to university study and our research indicates that you should perform to a higher standard in your first year and be more likely to complete your degree at Glasgow than comparable students who don't do it. Other Scottish universities may also value your success in Summer School.
Who is Summer School for?
- Pupils from our target schools
- Applicants to the University whose home postcode is classified as being priority (SIMD area 1 or 2)
- College leavers who are applying to the University for September entry
If you are in one of these categories it is possible that the University will make you an adjusted conditional offer dependent upon completion of Summer School. These offers usually have lower grades than our standard entry requirements.
Do you have Summer School as a condition of your offer?
- We will offer you free accommodation in student halls for the duration of Summer School if you are too far away to travel
- If you are travelling from home to the university, we may provide you with a complementary travel pass
- We strongly recommend that you do not book a holiday over the dates of Summer School as there is a minimum attendance requirement. All students will be required to achieve a minimum of 75% attendance in all classes.
Why should I do Summer School?
In addition to the benefits already mentioned, Summer School will:
- Improve your Study Skills
- Familiarise you with campus
- Help you meet classmates before Freshers' Week
- Introduce you to the library, your School and staff
- Prepare you for lectures and seminars
- Familiarise you with IT systems and the Virtual Learning Environment
- Develop your academic writing
- Improve your presentation skills
What can I study?
In addition to a compulsory study skills course, you chose two of the following subjects:
- Business and Management
- Computing Science
- English Literature
- Film and TV Studies
- Geography and Earth Science