Inspiring and transformative environments
The next five years will bring about the most significant development of our estate in over a century as we begin a £775m programme of investment. Whether at Gilmorehill, Garscube, Dumfries or overseas, our aim is the same; we want to create forward-looking, cohesive settings that inspire us and transform the way we live, learn and work together.
Our physical environment must reflect our strategic vision. We will construct:
- Visionary buildings which inspire learning, discovery and social interaction.
- Fit-for-purpose facilities which enable us to learn and work together in both small teams and large-scale interdisciplinary endeavours.
- Open, inviting spaces which encourage public engagement with our work.
We want to do justice to the beauty, legacy and utility of our surrounding areas. We will:
- Respect and reflect the heritage, environment and communities around us.
- Hold ourselves to rigorous standards of environmentally friendly and socially responsible construction.
- Operate in a sustainable and environmentally and socially responsible manner.
We want our campuses to be welcoming, secure and comfortable environments for all. We will:
- Ensure sufficient and suitable space for study and social/recreational activity alongside our core facilities.
- Create a balance between open, unconfined public spaces and calm, secure and private areas for study and reflection.
- Prioritise accessibility and inclusivity in the design of new builds and redeveloped sites.
- Carbon footprint: 39kT
We will reduce our CO2 emissions to less than 39kT by 2020.
- Effective use of estate: 8th
We will design and build an efficient estate such that our income per m2 of space will be at least 8th in the Russell Group.