International Partnership Development Fund (IPDF)
Applications for the 2020/21 IPDF are now open.
For 2020/21, in response to travel restrictions to limit the spread of COVID-19, there are some changes to the application process. Provision is being made this year to support virtual collaboration (details below). If you are interested in applying please contact us with an expression of interest.
The International Partnership Development Fund (IPDF) is to pump prime the development of sustainable and mutually beneficial international partnerships with high quality academic institutions and education providers worldwide.
For the 2020/21 IPDF round: all funding must be allocated and spent by 31 July 2021.
Applications must be supported at a college/school level with the provision of 'matched' funding, the maximum amount is £5000 (plus match funding). Applicants should consult their College International Dean before submitting their application.
Who is it for/deadline?
For University of Glasgow staff.
- Applications open on 1 October 2020. Deadline for applications 15 June 2021.
- Given the continuing restrictions in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020/21 funding should be used to support virtual collaboration activities.
- Funding should be allocated before 31 July 2021.
What is supported?
To help develop and raise the profile of prioirity partners within the University, 70% of International Partnership Development Funding is allocated for applications to work with the priority partners for IPDF (see below). The remaining 30% is open to support applications for work with other partners. IPDF provides financial support for:
- collaborative programme development and other partnership opportunities compatible with colleges’ international strategies and activities, any collaboration leading to a sustainable partnership is eligible for consideration,
- establishing international research collaborations at a School or College level, e.g. setting up PGR student mobility,
- groups of University of Glasgow staff (either within or cross-college) wishing to organise a large delegation visit to a strategic University partner,
- extension of conference travel as long as the IPDF award is used for partnership development at a School or College level (i.e. IPDF money should not to be used for conference travel),
- hosting short incoming visits provided that the visit supports the overall objectives of the fund,
- online support, the priority for IPDF is for travel to partners, however for 2020/21 exceptionally IPDF can be used for virtual means to establish or build on ideas this year, these collaborations will then will be viewed positively for physical travel in the future. Ideas could include:
- investment in materials that will help facilitate your research or mobility/L&T objective e.g. software, subscriptions, platform fees.
- international online conference fees where the applicant is a speaker at the event or attendance will promote Glasgow internationally.
Priority partners for IPDF
70% of the total annual allocation for the IPD Fund is for initiatives with the key partners listed below.
- New Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- Columbia University, USA
- New Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, IISER Pune, India
- New ITRI (Industrial Technology Research Institute), Taiwan
- New KAIST, South Korea
- New Kyushu University, Japan
- New Kimep University JSC, Kazakhstan
- New LUISS Guido Carli, Italy
- McGill University , Canada
- Nankai University, China
- New National Autonomous University of Mexico (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México) (UNAM), Mexico
- New National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- New Nazarbayev University, Kazakhstan
- New Pontifical Catholic University of Valparaíso (Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso) (PUCV), Chile
- New Sao Paulo State University (Universidade Estadual Paulista) (UNESP), Brazil
- Smithsonian Institution, USA
- New Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (UFMG), Brazil
- New University of Calcutta, India
- University of British Columbia, Canada
- New University of Denver, USA
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC), China
- New University of Florida, USA
- New University of Indonesia, Indonesia
- New University of Hyderabad, India
- New University of Malaya, Malaysia
- University of Sydney, Australia
- New University of Turin (UNITO) , Italy
- New University of the West Indies (UWI), Caribbean
- New Zhejiang University (ZJU), China
- New African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA)
- The Guild of European Research-Intensive Universities
- Universitas 21 (U21)
Criteria & application
Funding is available for initiatives at all levels of study and it will be allocated after consideration of applications by the region's Dean for Global Engagement. New programmes will be given priority.
Points to note:
- To help develop and raise the profile of strategic partners within the University, 70% of the IPDF is for applications to work with the University’s priority partners for IPDF (see above). The remaining 30% is to support applications for work with other partners.
- The funds may be used for economy class travel or related costs for support of projects being initiated within colleges to develop an international dimension to their collaborative academic activities and contribute to sustainable and mutually beneficial partnerships.
- The funding does not cover conference travel although it can be used to support an extension of conference travel as long as the IPDF award is used for partnership development at a School or College level.
- To support short incoming visits provided that the visit supports the overall objectives of the fund.
- Applications should be submitted where possible at least one month in advance of travel.
- The funding is in-year funding, therefore it must be spent before 31 July.
Applications for 2020-2021 are open
1. Please complete the application: IPDF application form
2. The first step should be to secure match-funding support within your College/School. Please consult your college before submitting your application:
- International Dean College of Arts: Anselm Heinrich (Anselm.Heinrich@glasgow.ac.uk)
- International Deans College of Medical, Veterinary & Life Sciences: Matthew Walters (Matthew.Walters@glasgow.ac.uk) and Chris Loughrey (Christopher.Loughrey@glasgow.ac.uk)
- International Dean College of Social Sciences: Duncan Ross (Duncan.Ross@glasgow.ac.uk)
- College of Science & Engineering: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the IPDF process for Science and Engineering.
Your College Business Development Manager can also provide advice and help facilitate College approval.
The application requireshould indicate how the application meets the strategic goals of the College/School and the University for internationalisation.
3. Central IPDF allocation: completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com at the International Affairs team in External Relations. They will then liaise with the region's Dean for Global Engagement to secure central support for the application.
Points to note
- The completed application form should include: Name and contact details of main contact at partner institution - we welcome funding applications to work with:
- our priority partners for IPDF or
- in the World's Top 200 universities or
- pre-eminent in their domestic context.
- Confirmation that approval for 50% of funding been agreed by the College (signature of Head of College/College Secretary and Head of Finance).
- The application form asks for a brief outline of the proposed joint programme development or the partnership proposal including:
- Name and address of potential international partner institution(s)
- Total level of funding requested (inc. 50% provided by College/School)
- Details of how the proposed funding will be used to develop the programme including budget breakdown with itemisation of funds requested
- Details of any visits planned to partner institutions and the names of staff involved in those visits. (note that funding will be provided to cover economy travel only. Any additional funding for business travel must be provided by the college).
- Applications should be submitted, where possible, at least one month in advance of the travel date.
Successful applicants will be notified by email.
Recipients must provide progress reports to the Dean for Global Engagement and to the Business Development Managers for their college at regular intervals throughout the year. At the end of the academic year they should submit a final report by the end of the academic year: IPD Fund progress report template
Funding is made available on an in-year funding basis and therefore funds must be spent by the end of the financial year (31 July) otherwise the residue will be reclaimed.
In exceptional cases it may be possible to extend funding for a second year to support a partnership which requires a longer lead time.
Final progress report
Recipients must submit a final report by the end of the academic year and provide progress reports to the International Affairs team.
- Download: IPD Fund progress report template
The recipients should complete an initial progress within two months of the visit. All applicants will be contacted at a later stage for a follow-up report.