International Partnership Funding
International Partnership Funding
Applications for 2017/2018 funding are open.
Partnership development is a critical element of the University’s approach to internationalisation. Since 2007 IPD Funding has been made available to University staff to pump prime the development of sustainable and mutually beneficial international partnerships between the University of Glasgow and high quality academic institutions and education providers worldwide.
To help develop and raise the profile of strategic partners within the University, 70% of the IPDF is for applications to work with the University’s strategic partners (see below). The remaining 30% is to support applications for work with non-strategic partners.
It is intended that the fund will provide financial support for:
- collaborative programme development and other partnership opportunities compatible with colleges’ international strategies and activities,
- establishing international research collaborations at a School or College level, e.g. setting up PGR student mobility,
- groups of University of Glasgow staff (either within or cross-college) wanting to organise a large delegation visit to a strategic University partner,
- in some cases, the fund can be used to support an extension of conference travel as long as the IPDF award is used for partnership development at a School or College level (i.e IPDF money should not to be used for conference travel),
- the IPDF will support applications for follow-up funding to take forward a partnership project which has already been initiated (as long as the first stage of funding was through the IPDF),
- any collaboration leading to a sustainable partnership is eligible for consideration.
Any application must be supported at a college level with the provision of ‘matched’ funding (services should gain match funding support from the Director/Head of Service). Applicants should consult their College Internationalisation Lead before submitting their application.
Strategic partners for IPDF inclusion
70% of the total annual allocation for the IPD Fund is for initiatives with the strategic partners listed below.
McGill University - also a U21 partner
University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC)
University of Hong Kong (HKU) - also a U21 partner
University of Sydney
The Guild of European Research-Intensive Universities:
- Aarhus University
- University of Bern
- University of Bologna
- Ghent University
- University of Göttingen
- University of Groningen
- Jagiellonian University (Krakow)
- King's College London
- University of Louvain
- University of Ljubljana
- University of Oslo
- University Paris Diderot
- Radboud University
- University of Tartu
- University of Tübingen
- Uppsala University
- University of Vienna
- University of Warwick
- Fudan University
- Korea University
- Lund University
- National University of Singapore
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (PUC)
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Tecnológico de Monterrey
- University of Amsterdam
- University of Auckland
- University of British Columbia
- University of Connecticut
- University of Delhi
- University College Dublin (UCD)
- University of Hong Kong (HKU)
- University of Johannesburg (UJ)
- University of Maryland
- University of Melbourne
- University of New South Wales
- University of Nottingham, Ningbo
- University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus
- University of Queensland
- University of Zurich
- Waseda University
Criteria & application
The 2017/2018 round opens on 1 August 2017.
Funding is available for initiatives at all levels of study and it will be allocated after consideration of applications by the International Deans. New programmes which can be launched in either 2016 or 2017 will be given priority.
Points to note:
- To help develop and raise the profile of strategic partners within the University, 70% of the IPDF is for applications to work with the University’s IPDF strategic partners. The remaining 30% is to support applications for work with non-strategic partners.
- The funds may be used for economy class travel or related costs for support of projects being initiated within colleges to develop an international dimension to their collaborative academic activities and contribute to sustainable and mutually beneficial partnerships.
- The funding does not cover conference travel although it can be used to support an extension of conference travel as long as the IPDF award is used for partnership development at a School or College level.
- Applications should be submitted where possible at least one month in advance of travel.
- The funding is in-year funding, therefore it must be spent before July 2018.
Applications are open for 2017-2018 bids
1. Please complete the application: IPDF application form
2. The first step should be to secure match-funding support within your College/School. Please consult your College Internationalisation Dean before submitting your application:
- College of Arts: Anselm Heinrich (Anselm.Heinrich@glasgow.ac.uk)
- College of Medical, Veterinary & Life Sciences: Matthew Walters (Matthew.Walters@glasgow.ac.uk) and Chris Loughrey (Christopher.Loughrey@glasgow.ac.uk)
- College of Social Sciences: Clare McManus (Clare.McManus@glasgow.ac.uk)
- College of Science & Engineering: Ian Watson (Ian.Watson@glasgow.ac.uk)
Your College Business Development Manager can also provide advice and help facilitate College approval: Internationalisation contacts.
The application requireshould indicate how the application meets the strategic goals of the College/School and the University for internationalisation.
3. Central IPDF allocation: completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com at the International Affairs team in External Relations. They will then liaise with the International Dean to secure central support for the application.
Points to note
- The completed application form should include: Name and contact details of main contact at partner institution - we welcome funding applications to work with:
- our IPDF strategic partners or
- in the World's Top 200 universities or
- pre-eminent in their domestic context.
- Confirmation that approval for 50% of funding been agreed by the College (signature of Head of College/College Secretary and Head of Finance).
- The application form asks for a brief outline of the proposed joint programme development or the partnership proposal including:
- Name and address of potential international partner institution(s)
- Total level of funding requested (inc. 50% provided by College/School)
- Details of how the proposed funding will be used to develop the programme including budget breakdown with itemisation of funds requested
- Details of any visits planned to partner institutions and the names of staff involved in those visits. (note that funding will be provided to cover economy travel only. Any additional funding for business travel must be provided by the college).
- Applications should be submitted, where possible, at least one month in advance of the travel date.
Successful applicants will be notified by email.
Recipients must provide progress reports to the Internationalisation Manager and to the Business Development Managers for their college at regular intervals throughout the year. At the end of the academic year they should submit a final report by the end of the academic year: IPD Fund progress report template
Funding is made available on an in-year funding basis and therefore funds must be spent by the end of the financial year (July 2018) otherwise the residue will be reclaimed.
In exceptional cases it may be possible to extend funding for a second year to support a partnership which requires a longer lead time.
What happens during the project?
Recipients must provide progress reports to the Head of International Affairs and to the Business Development Managers for their College at regular intervals throughout the year.
Final progress report
Recipients must submit a final report by the end of the academic year and provide progress reports to the Head of International Affairs at regular intervals throughout the year.
- Download: IPD Fund progress report template
The recipients should complete an initial progress within two months of the visit. All applicants will be contacted at a later stage for a follow-up report.