The NHS (National Health Service) is the main health provider in the U.K. It is publicly funded, and was born out of a long-held ideal that good healthcare should be available to everyone residing in the country. Almost every GP surgery and all of the main hospitals within Glasgow are run by the NHS.



Registering with an NHS doctor

You should register with a local doctor (within the postcode area of your term-time home) who will be responsible for your medical care whilst at the University. 

Please note: you may have great difficulty in getting medical attention if you are not registered, especially if an emergency arises in the middle of the night.

GP Surgeries search - NHS24:


How to register with a local doctor

At a GP practice

Take your medical card with you. If you can not find this you will be given a form to complete at the practice.

Lists of General Practitioners are available in main post offices and public libraries. Contact your chosen practice to ask if you will be able to register with them. The staff at the practice will then advise you accordingly.

Overseas staff

If you have not previously been registered with an NHS doctor and do not have an NHS medical card, you should inform the general practitioner you are registering with. If you experience any difficulty, visit us for advice.


Dental Care

Finding a dentist

Dentists search - NHS24:

Please note: some dental practices require the HC1 form from students (phone the practice to get more information).

Dental Emergencies

If you are not yet registered with a dentist you can contact the Dental Hospital for an emergency appointment. However, they will only accept you if it is an emergency.

For patients unregistered with a dentist, daytime contact is: +44 (0) 141 232 6323
Out of hours treatment is available through a referral from NHS24: 08454 24 24 24.