Welcome to the January 2014 online edition of Avenue, our twice-yearly magazine for alumni and friends of the University.
In this issue of Avenue we explore the lives and careers of alumni around the world; from Glasgow to California to Somalia.
Our cover story takes us to Mojave in California, where Virgin Galactic’s chief pilot David Mackay is getting ready to fulfil his childhood ambition to travel into space by flying some of the world’s first space tourists towards the stars.
You don’t have to travel into space to change worlds. Many of our graduates are working hard to make changes on this planet, and we hear from Joanna Reid whose drive and determination is helping to improve people’s lives in fragile countries like Somalia. We also hear from Karina Atkinson, our inspirational Young Alumnus of the Year 2013, who is pioneering conservation in Paraguay.
The University campus is undergoing and preparing for many improvements, and you can read about the latest developments. And for those who can’t make it to the campus to visit The Hunterian’s latest exhibitions, there are opportunities in other corners of the world to see Hunterian items on display. Find out about their current loans.
In 2014 the Commonwealth Games are coming to Glasgow for the first time. I hope you will join me in wishing the University’s elite athletes all the best as they prepare for the Games. Read a few of their stories.
I hope you enjoy reading this issue of Avenue, and thank you for continuing to support and engage with the University.
Professor Anton Muscatelli
Principal and Vice-Chancellor
Avenue 55 includes:
- News: Recent activities and achievements
- Saving vital species: Conservationist is named our Young Alumnus of the Year 2013
- Improving lives: What it takes to work in international development
- Flying to space: Graduate is preparing to take tourists into space
- Preparing for Glasgow 2014: Glasgow students past and present who hope to compete in the Commonwealth Games
- Careers in progress: Career updates from alumni
- Alumni news: your news
- Reunions and events: Clubs, reunions and graduate events
- Minutes from the Half-Yearly Meeting of the General Council, including the Principal’s report
- What’s on at The Hunterian
Half-Yearly Meeting of the General Council Saturday, 1 February 2014 Alumni are invited to join the Chancellor and the Principal at the General Council Half-Yearly Meeting on Saturday, 1 February 2014 at 11am in the Charles Wilson Lecture Theatre in the University.