THE NEW HEART OF CAMPUS WILL ENSURE THAT EVERYBODY HAS ACCESS TO A WORLD-CLASS EDUCATION
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW?
The Hub will become our new Heart of Campus, accommodating around 1,800 students an hour.
‘Sticky’ spaces will encourage students to stay on campus and interact and learn from each other.
Students will have access to the technology and environment they need to thrive regardless of their socio-economic background.
Opening to students in September 2019!
Why do we need a Learning Hub?
The University is expanding and evolving and we need to meet the changes in demands. We are so pleased that we can now accept around 28,000 students however this is an incredible increase in numbers and means that our facilities are stretched to the limits.
We now have an incredible opportunity for the University to invest in the city of Glasgow, the local community and the University whilst developing a learning environment suited for our current and future needs. Teaching space on campus is dated and inflexible, our lecturers and students are limited by the facilities. We now need to help provide modern ways of teaching, ensuring our position as a world-leading University.
What makes this building different?
Located at the very heart of campus the Hub is designed to be a ‘sticky’ space. Students will be able to not only attend lectures and utilize the much needed study space, but it will provide around the clock facilities for international students and students from disadvantaged backgrounds. There are designated recreational areas on each floor and self-catering kitchen areas to allow students to remain on campus and interact with each other.
The Hub's key feature's:
- With over 25% of our students from 40% of the most deprived areas in Scotland this building will provide 24 hours resources to support students regardless of their background
- Moveable and flexible furniture allowing for group work and new ways of teaching and creative learning
- Focus on collaborative learning, allowing our diverse range of cultures, ideas and minds to come together and discuss today’s biggest issues.
- Inspiring and nurturing our world changers of tomorrow, by providing them with high-quality teaching facilities and the financial support to access them, is at the very heart of our campaign.
- We hope that the glass face front of the building will attract locals and visitors passing by to look in and be curious to learn more and strengthen their education.
A group of our students outside the James McCune Smith Learning Hub Construction site: