What is an internship?
An internship is a fixed term, structured period of work experience with a focus on skills development and enabling students to investigate a particular role or industry.
- It is either project based or involves undertaking “real work” at a professional level
- It should develop professional skills not already possessed or provide experience within competitive industries that can be difficult to access
- Internships are normally paid and should conform to National Minimum Wage regulations (unless work is for registered charities).
Internships are not normally credit bearing or embedded within PGT programme learning although some programmes will provide access to Internships.
Programmes with Internships
LLM in Intellectual Property and the Digital Economy (School of Law) host a competitive summer internship scheme for students. Industry partners/placement providers are sourced through personal contact and the internships provide skills development and valuable work experience for the successful candidates. The internships are offered on a voluntary, but competitive basis. Students are offered a two-week placement during the summer (typically: June or August). The application and interview process commences in February each year.
The Internship Hub
The Internship Hub is delivered by the Careers Service exclusively for University of Glasgow students and facilitate over 350 internship opportunities each academic year. This includes:
- Hundreds of summer internships with start-up businesses, multinational organisations, and everyone in-between
- Over 150 on-campus internships working anywhere from the Hunterian to the Communications Office
- Part-time term time roles with local companies that fit in with studies
What sets us apart?
- All of our internships are paid, unless they are part-time roles with Registered Charities
- We encourage all of our employers to pay the living wage where possible
- We deliver an innovative programme of support and advice throughout the internship journey
- We provide personal feedback on all unsuccessful applications
- We work with employers of all shapes and sizes across a diverse range of industries