China Scholarship Council (CSC) PhD Scholarships
This scheme provides academically excellent Chinese students with the opportunity to study for a PhD at the University of Glasgow. The scholarships are supported jointly by the China Scholarship Council and the University of Glasgow.
For successful applicants, the College will provide a fee waiver to cover tuition fees, and the CSC will consider their application for a living allowance as set by the Chinese government, return airfare from China to the UK by the most economical route, and visa application fees.
The scholarships will be awarded to citizens and permanent residents of the People's Republic of China at the time of application that are accepted for admission on a full-time basis for a postgraduate PhD degree programme at the University of Glasgow.
Candidates should not be currently working outside China at the time of application, and successful candidates must agree to return to China upon completion of their research degree at the University of Glasgow. Candidates currently studying outside China are eligible to apply.
•High achieving Chinese students only.
•Full tuition fees.
•All studentships are funded for 3 years (or the remainder of your minimum period if you are a current 1st year PhD researcher)
•Applications will be judged in terms of qualifications and the quality of the proposed project.
•All applications are reviewed and decided by the College funding panel. Only applicants nominated by the College Graduate School will be eligible for the tuition fee waiver.
•Applications approved by the College are subject to further approval by the China Scholarship Council
Level of study:
This scholarship will cover tuition fees, and the CSC will consider applications for a living allowance
How to apply:
In order to be considered for this scholarship you must:
1. Apply for postgraduate research at Glasgow by the 31 January 2021 to allow time for your offer to be processed. Details on how to apply for a PhD can be found on the Graduate Schools' How to Apply webpage
2. For those applicants who wish to begin their PhD research at Glasgow, please indicate in the funding section of your admission application that you wish to apply for CSC funding.
3. All applicants (both current 1st year PhD and new PhD applicants) must complete the China Scholarship Council (CSC) application coversheet: https://glasgow.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/csc-cover-sheet
4. All applicants are required to submit a Supervisor Statement of Support provided by their prospective supervisor(s). The Supervisor Statement of Support is a key component of the application and of the assessment process. The statement must follow the Style and Content Guide on the Supervisor Statement of Support document. The Supervisor Statement of Support is to be lodged to the Graduate School (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the closing date
5. To be considered for a scholarship, it is preferred that applicants have an unconditional offer in place before the CSC deadline noted below. Those candidates who hold a conditional offer of admission must have satisfied all English language requirements. Please ensure that you fulfil the College of Social Sciences English language requirements before applying for CSC funding.
6. Once the College has decided on the nominations for 2021-22, the nominated students will receive an updated PhD offer letter stating this (or a statemement of support letter if you are a current 1st year PhD researcher) for submission with their application to the CSC.
7. Nominated students must then apply directly to the CSC during the application window, please check the CSC’s website for details http://apply.csc.edu.cn/csc/main/person/login/index.jsf Candidates should satisfy the selection criteria set out by CSC and complete the CSC Application form by the required date. Nominated students should apply through the CSC-Glasgow Channel.
8. Applicants must be both nominated by the University of Glasgow and successful with the CSC in order to be accepted onto this scholarship programme.
|31 January 2021||
Applicants should have made their application for a PhD within the College of Social Sciences no later than this date
|28 February 2021||
Applicants must have a PhD offer by this date (if a PhD offer is conditional, applicants must have fulfilled the English language requirements by this date)
Applicants must have completed the CSC application coversheet and the Supervisor Statement of Support must be received by the Graduate School
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered
|04 March 2021||Date by which College nominates to the Central University. Nominated students notified|
|08 March 2021||University submits nominations to the CSC to meet deadline|
|10 - 31 March 2021||Application window for nominated students to apply directly to the CSC on the CSC website http://apply.csc.edu.cn/csc/main/person/login/index.jsf|
|End May/Early June 2021||Approved nominees received from the CSC|
|June 2021||Agreement between the University and CSC on successful scholars|