Professional Services Review update
Professional Services Review update
Update – March 2019
During March each Work Stream continued to focus on the activities set out by the Professional Services Review Board (PSR Board) which will help identify opportunities to improve and complement our current processes and structures.
Please use the suggestion box for suggestions/quick win ideas on where you think improvements can be made to your daily interactions with your Stakeholders.
Our next communication will be at the beginning of April, but in the meantime if you have any questions that you would like to ask about the review or the new Suggestion box please do not hesitate to contact Richard Ross (Richard.Ross@glasgow.ac.uk) who is supporting all of the Work Streams and the PSR Board.
Advisory input from a team of IT professionals and academics
- Re-engaged with Key Stakeholders from the IT Operations Group
- Review of Operating Model and Service areas commenced - Individual meetings with each school completed during March
- Attending monthly IT Operations meeting to document Delivery of Services
Research and Innovation
Helen Harkness and Chris Pearce/Manuel Salmeron-Sanchez
Research Admin Support – Jacqui Heuchan and Michelle Carmichael
- Paper presented to a round table meeting of the College Management Group and follow up meetings undertaken with the HoS & HoSA in each school to discuss further
- Existing Structure and draft potential “go to” structure mapped out
- Workshop to be arranged with HOSA’s to review and consider options during April.
NEW: Early Career Development: Lynne McCorriston
- Induction/signposting guide for ECRs added to the COSE webpage in March 2019. Action to remain open until end of May to assess feedback and effectivity.
NEW: Knowledge Exchange: Keith Dingwall
- Engaged with 4 Key stakeholders to understand (i) What is being delivered (ii) gaps (iii) best way to deliver. Report will be provided at the January WS meeting.
- A working document has been reviewed. Further meeting to be arranged to review current processes re external / industry/ public engagement.
Project Management Office (PMO)
- Data mapping completed – Jan 19
- Team identified.
- Data being consolidated into standard activities, with plan to arrange reviews with academic focus groups.
Conference & Events Management
- Workshop being arranged during April to scope out the project and discuss next steps.
Business / Research Development Management
- NEW Feb 19 – Lynne McCorriston to lead review and provide update.
Research rough Costing tool
- Introduce a system accessible by staff that would allow a QUICK and APPROXIMATE cost for a research proposal based on staff and resources.
- Testing commenced 28 Feb 2019
Student and Academic Services
Pat Duncan and Stephen Clark
- Paper with recommendations on:
- (i) What does/does not need to be delivered at school interface
- (ii) How best the support staff can be structured to deliver equitable service across the college presented to PSR Board on 21 March 2019.
- Further presentation to be made at the next PSR Board meeting taking into account feedback.
- Financial Aid Awarding: Identify improvement opportunities and present a paper to the PSR Board with recommendations in April 2019.
Bruce Roberston and Simon Wilson
- Equipment/Register: implementation of an Equipment Asset Register commenced: Identify registry owners at school level to collate and input data onto the agreed template
- Succession planning and Skills organogram – presentation made to PSR Board on 14 February 2019. Follow up presentation prepared with updated recommendations to be taken back to the PSR Board
- Operating Model – presentation, with proposals made to PSR Board on 21 March 2019. Paper to be shared with the CMG
School and College Management Support
Tania Galabova and Martin Lee
Executive admin support
- Recommendation and actions from the HoS/HoSA/PA work shop being worked through during March/April
School Admin Activity
- Workshop to be arranged to review the scale across a diverse range of activity. Consider best structure, good practice and how service is delivered. Report on findings/recommendations to be made to the PSR Board. (Once the Executive Admin Support Activity completed)
Debbie Goldie with Academic key stakeholder support
- Reviewed space opportunities identified by Work Stream members/discussions with HoSA’s. Investigate one Opportunity to subdivide 4 existing rooms to create 8 small office (GES).
- Add additional guidance notes to the CapEX Form and make these available on the COSE website. Draft additional guidance notes circulated to Work Stream members for discussion with key stakeholders and feedback.
Professional Services Review Project Board
Project Development Board discussions
PSR Board discussions – March 2019
- Technical Support Work Stream presented a discussion paper on potential new ways to work
- Student and Academic Services presented a discussion paper on potential new ways to work
Priorities agreed with PSR Board
- April priorities detailed within each Work Stream update