Early Career Researcher
The funding schemes aimed at ECR researchers include Catalyst Seed Funding, Secondments and supervision opportunities through undergraduate Summer Scholarships.
Catalyst - Early Career Researcher
We aim to open another call in Spring 2021.
This fund is supported by the Wellcome Institutional Strategic Support Fund, and is to provide early career researchers (ECR) with an opportunity to apply for funding for their own projects, assisting them in gaining research independence. Researchers can apply for a maximum of £30,000. We expect to award between 4-6 grants in this call.
Institutes will perform an internal triage on potential applicants, and will inform the ISSF team which three applications have been selected for submission and review. Different institutes will have different processes and it is your responsibility to seek guidance from your own institute. The ISSF team is not involved in the institute triage process.
- You must be an MVLS ECR researcher.
- For this scheme, the definition of an ECR is a postdoctoral researcher funded by their PI’s grant. You must have a PhD. If you currently hold your own funding you are not eligible for this call. Fellowship funding (e.g. Henry Dale, Marie Curie) is considered personally held funding. If you have held funding before, but are currently paid by PI’s grant you are eligible. Clinicians are also eligible.
- Applicants must have 12 months remaining on their contract/current funding, as of March 2020 (this is not a bridging funding scheme). If there is any ambiguity about your end date, then please submit suporting letters or documentation with your application.
- Co-applicants do not have to be MVLS researchers or ECR. You do not require a co-applicants
- If you have already be awarded an ECR Catalyst you are not eligible for this call
You must complete a reporting form once you have completed your project. You will be contacted when this is required.