MVLS Engagement with Research Fund
The College of MVLS encourages all staff and students to celebrate, share, and connect the university’s world changing research with the public.
Part of the Wellcome Institutional Strategic Support Fund (ISSF3), the MVLS Engagement with Research Fund is open to all MVLS staff and postgraduate research students and offers flexible awards to support research-related public engagement activity and skills development.
The Fund has two award levels to develop, deliver, evaluate or support engagement projects and activities that highlight our research. This can include piloting or creating new ideas, providing training or consulting specialists with the aim of extending or improving public engagement across the College.
- Awards of up to £2,500
- Small Awards - up to £250
Fund Open - Deadline for applications 31 July 2020.
Applications are welcome at all times when the fund is open.
From application, a quick (10 working day) decision period is intended to help applicants take advantage of unexpected, or time limited engagement opportunities.
The main exclusion is that this funding cannot support research or academic activities e.g. conferences or technical research training.
How to Apply
- Ensure your idea aligns with the MVLS Engagement with Research Fund Criteria.
- Get in touch to discuss your idea with your local public engagement contact and/or speak with the MVLS Engagement team.
NOTE: As part of a commitment to develop public engagement skills across the College the MVLS Engagement team are happy to work with applicants to help develop applications.
- Complete Section A: Application to the MVLS Engagement with Research Fund Form
For Small Awards a light touch application process is in place - see application form.
- Return form together with supporting email from a senior staff member within your MVLS research group/institute/school to MVLS-Engage@glasgow.ac.uk
How decisions are made
- Decisions are made by the MVLS Engagement team and invited engagement advisers from across MVLS College.
- You will receive a response within 10 working days of acknowledged receipt of a completed application.
- Feedback will be provided on all applications to this fund.
What to do if you receive funding
- Review the MVLS engagement resources available to support your activity.
- Ensure that any planned events or training activities are accessible to all. Download the Accessible Events Checklist to help you with planning your event.
- You will be required to submit a short evaluation report after the conclusion of your activity. A report date will be agreed when funding is approved.
- The reporting template (Section B) is attached to the MVLS Engagement with Research Fund Form for reference.
For Small Awards a light touch reporting process is in place - see application form.
Not the right fund for you?
If you are not MVLS staff, a postgraduate research student, or your idea is not supporting MVLS research, if the proposal will require a higher level of funding support, or is primarily focused on knowledge exchange with academic audiences, then MVLS Engagement for Research funding is not for you.
But there are other University and external funds that could help.
If you are uncertain which fund might best support your engagement idea contact the MVLS Engagement Team.