West Medical Building named after Sir James Black
The West Medical Building was recently renamed the Sir James Black Building, in honour of the pharmacologist and Nobel Laureate. Sir James, who joined the Veterinary School in 1950, and established the Department of Veterinary Physiology at Glasgow, was best known for devising a way of curbing stomach acidity to aid the healing of ulcers and his work on beta-blockers.
Sir James was knighted in 1981 and was the Chancellor of the University of Dundee from 1992 until May 2006. In 1989, the University of Glasgow awarded him the honorary degree of Doctor of Science. In 2000, he was given the Order of Merit, the highest honour that can be bestowed upon an individual personally by the Queen.
Professor Sir Anton Muscatelli, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Glasgow, commented: “Sir James was undoubtedly one of the greatest scientists of the modern age. Through his commitment, intellect and insight he achieved a global impact and his discoveries continue to improve the lives of many.”
First published: 10 December 2018