Graduate Skills Award
The Graduate Skills Award is the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences' personal development and skills programme. It provides a framework for postgraduate taught students to enhance their transferable skills and attributes through a range of lectures and a series of workshops which have been specifically designed to improve employability in a competitive job market.
By taking part, you will:
- complete an online career development and skills assessment at the beginning of the programme
- undertake a minimum of four activities to develop these skills
- reflect on your activity that you have been involved in through the online ePortfolio platform
You will be required to complete four activities, one from each of the three categories; Passionate, Professional, Progressive, plus a fourth activity of your choice from each of these categories.
Registration opens: October 2021
What our past students say
- The MVLS Graduate Skills Award has succeeded in equipping me with the soft skills and the hard skills for me to thrive as both a member of society and a scientist. But it has also inspired me to be better, and to make the change that I would like to see and experience. It has been a fantastic journey!
- The Graduate Skills Award provided me with countless valuable attributes and I will definitely encourage others to participate in it. Knowing that I was not only attaining professional and personal development, but also making a difference in the lives of others was priceless.
- I am glad to have been given the opportunity to supplement my academic learning and I am confident that I can carry forward a host of skills. This is an opportunity I may not have sought specifically outside of this award scheme.
How do I register for the Award?
You will receive a link via email with details on how to register. You will be asked to choose four activities as part of the MVLS Graduate Skills Award. You must register for each activity separately and it is your responsibility to ensure you attend all activities you have signed up for. You can change your activity choice at any time.
What happens after I register?
You will be contacted by a member of the Graduate Skills Award team who will confirm receipt of your registration and will provide you with further instructions on how to access the Moodle site. This site will focus on the process for planning your extra-curricular activities and adding resources throughout your studies. You should monitor your email throughout the year for updates on activities.
It is your responsibility to ensure you keep a log of your attendance which must be verified by the tutor. To gain credits for the award, you must complete a reflective log on Moodle, along with evidence of your attendance.
By completing the Graduate Skills Award, you will receive a certificate and acknowledgment of the Award on your HEAR. HEAR stands for Higher Education Achievement Report - an extended degree transcript that details both your academic and extracurricular accomplishments.