The University of Glasgow has a Student Absence Policy, where you will find information relating to PGR students in the appendix.
If you need to undergo a prolonged period of absence (eg maternity leave, period of ill health, etc) the Graduate School provides a 'suspension of studies' option (see below).
Details on absence are available in your section 3.2.
Suspension of studies
If you wish to suspend study, you must:
- consult your Principal Supervisor
- if approved, the Supervisor shall seek the permission via the Higher Degrees Committee.
- Please send the completed and signed Suspension of Studies Form to the Graduate School for the attention of the Clerk of the HDC Committee.
- Applications for suspension are dealt with on a case-by-case basis and are subject to satisfactory progress thus far.
For further details, see the PGR Code of Practice (PDF), section 7.21 - 7.33.
Extension of studies
An extension refers to an update to the deadline for your thesis submission.
- If you and your supervisor(s) perceive that the original deadline may not be achievable, you may apply for an extension.
- You should apply at least three months prior to the planned submission date.
- An extension may be granted subject to approval by the Graduate School Board and in compliance with any funder terms and conditions.
- Applications for extension will be considered on a case-by-case basis.