The University of Glasgow has a Student Absence Policy, where you will find information relating to PGR students in the appendix.
Details on absence are available in your PGR Code of Practice (PDF) section 3.2.
If you need to undergo a prolonged period of absence (eg maternity leave, period of ill health, etc) the Graduate School provides a 'suspension of studies' option.
Suspension of studies
If you wish to suspend study, you must:
- Consult your Principal Supervisor
- If approved, the Supervisor shall seek the permission via the Higher Degrees Committee.
- Send the completed and signed Suspension of Studies Form (MS Word) to the Graduate School for the attention of the Clerk of the HDC Committee.
- Applications for suspension are dealt with on a case-by-case basis and are subject to satisfactory progress up to this point.
For further details, see the PGR Code of Practice (PDF), section 7.21 - 7.33.
Extension of studies
An extension refers to an update to the deadline for your thesis submission.
- If you and your supervisor(s) perceive that the original deadline may not be achievable, you may apply for an extension.
- You should apply at least three months prior to the planned submission date.
- An extension may be granted subject to approval by the Graduate School Board and in compliance with any funder terms and conditions.
- Applications for extension will be considered on a case-by-case basis.