Role and Remit
The Research Governance Office can provide advice and support to staff and students wishing to conduct research involving human participants, their tissue or their data.
The team can help with Protocol Development and advise on the appropriate regulatory approvals required, as well as providing guidance on:
- Sponsorship: the individual, company or organisation which takes responsibility for the initiation, management, and/or financing of a study
- Insurance/Indemnity: appropriate cover is required against potential harm to participants
- Ethics Applications and Amendments: ethical review is required for all research involving human participants
- Human Tissue: all relevant UK legislation which regulates research involving the use of human tissue must be complied with
- Data Protection: research generates data which must be handled in accordance with relevant information legislation
- Archiving: the process for timely archiving of essential research study documents once the study has been completed should be considered at the earliest opportunity
Working closely alongside colleagues in NHS Research & Development, the Research Governance team can help investigators ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities and that their research is conducted to the highest standard.