Modern Languages and Cultures
We offer expertise, teaching and supervision in language, culture, literature and history for the subjects of French, German, Hispanic, Italian and Russian.
Our degree programmes are designed to help you develop full proficiency in speaking, understanding, reading, writing and appreciating languages and culture.
Our leading research and teaching ranges from the Middle Ages to the contemporary period, and includes expertise in:
- the novel
- theatre and performance studies
We also have extensive knowledge in the specialisms of; language studies; cultural studies; theory and thought; visual cultures including emblems; and fine art and cinema.
Our expertise embraces a wide variety of specialisms across the modern period including:
- German literature in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries
- aesthetics and the history of ideas
- psychoanalytical theory; and
- German cultural theory.
Hispanic studies involves the study of the languages, literatures and cultures of Spain, Portugal and the wider Spanish and Portuguese-speaking world, with particular emphasis on Spanish America and Brazil.
We have leading expertise in 19th, 20th and 21st century Latin American and Peninsular culture, film, literature and cultural theory, and we have strong connections with institutions in the USA, Latin America, Spain and Portugal.
If you study with us you will:
- benefit from our small-group teaching methods
- advance your understanding and use of Spanish and Portuguese; and
- have the opportunity to learn about a wide range of linguistic, literary, cultural, social and historical topics.
Our expertise ranges across topics including:
- the history and literature of the Italian Resistance to Fascism
- modern Italian cinema
- women and 20th century Italy
- the literature of Trieste and the perception of cultural identity
- the poetry of Eugenio Montale; and
- 20th century Italian theatre.
We are a centre of excellence in the field, with diverse and multi-disciplinary expertise in:
- gender studies
- the media;
- and the history of the three countries.
If you study with us you can benefit from our excellent facilities, small-group teaching methods and the regular visits we host from writers, artists and academics from Central and East European Europe.