The GUSA Council is a body of 12 students elected annually to:
- represent all students participating in sport and recreation at the University of Glasgow
- assist with the promotion, development, organisation and administration of sport and recreation at the University of Glasgow
All GUSA members are eligible to run for election.
GUSA Council 2012-2013
The executive positions available are:
- Executive President
- Finance Convenor
- Club Sport Convenor
- Recreation Convenor
- Health & Fitness Convenor
- Publicity Convenor
- Travel Convenor
- Welfare Convenor
- Fundraising & Outreach Convenor
- Alumni Convenor
There are also several senior members who sit on the council who are not students.
Their role is to provide a voice for GUSA at a senior university level and to provide advice and support for the students on council.
||Professor Frank Coton
||Mr Jack Smart
|Honorary Vice President
||Mr Dave Denton
||Dr Des Gilmore
||Dr Dominic Mellor
GUSA Position Profiles:
GUSA Council Members provide a vital role in the drive towards improving and strengthening sport and recreation within the University of Glasgow and sport in Scotland.
All members of the student council are expected to adhere to the following:
- Commit to attending Council meetings (1 per month).
- Comply with the GUSA Constitution and Equality and Diversity policies of the University of Glasgow.
- Work together with SRS staff to identify and agree annual objectives.
- Carry out work generated by the Council position they hold.
- Keep in regular communication with the GUSA President and other relevant parties as appropriate
- Support the use of the GUSA brand in all official correspondence and promote GUSA wherever possible.
- As a representative of GUSA, Sport and Recreation and the University of Glasgow act in a manner befitting this role at all times.
- Full time sabbatical position – 35 hours per week
- Oversees the general day to day running of the Association
- Ensures a strong representation of student sport at Glasgow
- Actively involved in the planning, development and delivery of all sport & recreation
- Represents GUSA on the Sport & Recreation Management Group
- Represents the University to the wider sporting community across Scotland and the UK
- Represents the Association in the absence of the President
- Provides assistance to the President in the day to day running of the organisation
- Oversees the organisation and delivery of the Annual Awards Dinner
- Provides support and assistance to council members
- Gives notice of all council meetings, and ensures minutes are recorded and distributed accordingly
- Gives notice to the membership of all General Meetings and Elections
- Oversees the administration of the Association’s annual elections
- Oversees the administration of the Blues Committee and ratifying of individual awards
- Represents the Association on the Sport & Recreation Alumni Development Group
- Assists with developing and maintaining the Sport & Recreation Alumni Network database
- Acts as point of contact for all alumni related events, including club organised events and Sport & Recreation events
Club Sport Convenor
- Liaises with the Club Sport Manager in the delivery of club sport across all 48 affiliated clubs
- Supports with the planning and delivery of club sport events, including CCS, Sports Fair and Annual Awards Dinner
- Works closely with the Club Sport Manager in the planning and development of club sport provision
- Oversees the distribution of the Association’s Annual grant to all affiliated clubs
- Works closely with the Finance Administrator, Finance Committee and Club Treasurers
- Administers the Chancellors Fund, including the application process and allocation meetings
- Oversees the organisation of all fundraising events during the year
- Presents a programme of events to the council at the start of each academic session
- Ensures the Association promotes a chosen charity on an annual basis
Health & Fitness Convenor
- Liaises with the Service Development Team in the delivery of the H&F Programme, including exercise class programmes and campaigns
- Provides student representation in the planning and development of H&F opportunities
- Supports the monitoring and reviewing of the H&F programme
- Responsible for publicising all GUSA events
- Collates and submits publicity articles to university and external publications & organisations
- Works closely with Marketing & Business Manager in raising the profile of Sport & Recreation at the University
- Liaises with the Service Development Team in the delivery of the recreation programme, including drop-in sessions and one off events
- Provides student representation in the planning and development of recreational opportunities
- Provides support to the administration and running of all intra-university competitions, such as the Inter-Schools Cup
- Works closely with the Travel Administrator in the allocation and maintenance of the GUSA mini bus fleet
- Responsible for the up keeping of all log information, liaising with University security staff
- Responsible for the acquisition of vehicle sponsorship and branding designs
- Provides support in the planning and delivery of welfare associated events and initiatives such as the Sport & Wellbeing Week
- Responsible for the administration and accreditation of the Healthy Body Health Mind award programme.
- Works closely with Sport & Recreation in raising the awareness of the benefits of leading an active and healthy lifestyle to the University community
GUSA Working Groups
These groups will provide support to specific areas of the Association’s business, led by the specific convenor; they will allow the Association to greatly increase student representation across campus. The focus of each working group will be chosen by the GUSA Council following the annual elections and volunteers will be recruited onto the working groups from the wider GUSA membership using a transparent application and interview process.
The GUSA Council is the executive and decision making group which shapes and delivers the work of the association in providing and promoting Sport and Recreation amongst the student community at University of Glasgow, providing appropriate student led representation for our members and provides effective opportunities for them to take part in sport.
Sport provides a great chance to help you lead a balanced, healthy life style. Here at GUSA we know how to live the best of all worlds. It is well known that taking regular exercise helps you concentrate and alongside all of the new skills that you can develop, the social opportunities are endless. So, if you want to represent over 12000 students taking part in regular sport and exercise, and feel you can add value to the student organisation, why not run for one of the positions below, and help further develop the student sporting community at Glasgow!
As a result of the Annual Elections held Thursday 7 March 2013 in the Stevenson Building, the following people were elected to serve on the GUSA Council for the session 2013 - 2014.
||Stuart Law (elected unopposed)
||Kirsty Nicoll (elected unopposed)
||Tom Gebbie (elected)
||Olivia Edgar (elected)
|Club Sport Convenor
||Chiara Biscontin (elected)
||Caitlin Kelly (elected unopposed)
|Funding & Outreach Convenor
||Alison Eadie (elected)
|Health & Fitness Convenor
||Constanze Zehentmeier (elected unopposed)
||Stuart Morrison (elected)
||Sandra Perry (elected)
||Sean Kelly (elected)
||Chloe Duffus (elected)
GUSA Council Manifestos
Club Sport Convenor
Fundraising & Outreach Convenor
Health & Fitness Convenor