King's Theatre, Edinburgh
This collection includes correspondence, photographs, posters, press cuttings and programmes.
The King's was designed by James Davidson and J.D. Swanston with seating for 2,500. Built in 1905 by Edinburgh builder, William Stewart Cruikshank, Andrew Carnegie laid the foundation stone and the theatre was opened on 8 December 1906 with a performance of Cinderella. In 1928 Cruikshank merged his theatre with the Howard and Wyndham Empire and became chairman of the company. 1950 saw a major refurbishment closing the theatre for 10 months. It re-opened with the pantomime Puss in Boots on 14 December 1951.
The King's was sold to Edinburgh City Council in 1969. Festival City Theatres Trust took on the management of The King’s from the local authority in July 1998.
How to find material relating to the King's Theatre, Edinburgh
- King's Theatre Edinburgh: details of latest and future productions, plus latest news, information and photographs outlining the history of the theatre
- National Library of Scotland: Scottish Theatre Programmes database: collection of programmes, playbills and posters. These items from theatres and other venues date from the 19th century onwards