This resource aims to help you understand chemical emergencies, see how they can be avoided and also help you prepare in case they happen.
The layout has been developed so that you can choose to work your way through the whole resource and for those using the resource for the first time this approach is recommended. Alternatively you can select specific sub-topics that you wish to re-visit to refresh your memory or as they become relevant to your ongoing activities.
To view any single section simply click on the links in the contents list below.
1. What is a chemical emergency?
1.1 Mechanisms of exposure to chemicals
2. When do chemical emergencies happen?
2.1 Understanding the Hazards of Chemicals
3. Prevention of Chemical Emergencies
3.1 Mechanisms for Control
4. How to prepare for chemical emergencies
3.2 Risk Assessment
3.3 Hazards, Hazard Symbols and Material Safety Data Sheets
3.4 Illustration of Hazard Symbols
5. Who deals with chemical emergencies?
6. How to cope with a chemical emergency
7. What to do after a chemical emergency
8. Checklist for preparing an emergency plan
9. Definition of terms