3 - Membership of appointing committee
The composition of the appointing panel will be nominated by the Head of School/RI/Service or appropriate recruiting manager. A Convener should be identified at this stage.
The role of the Convener is to:
- ensure fairness and equality for all candidates.
- assign areas to be covered by each panel member;
- greet the candidate and introduce him/her to all the members of the panel;
- direct the questioning and ensure continuity;
- manage the interview process especially in relation to time management;
- record initial scores;
- vote where consensus cannot be reached.
- record final decision.
- ensure a decision is made concerning probation for academic appointments (as appropriate)
When appointing the Committee consideration should be given to the following:
1. At least one member of each sex, if at all possible, shall be appointed on each Committee;
2. Any member of an Appointing Committee should declare any conflicts of interest to the Convener; (if unsure please discuss with your Recruitment Assistant or College HR Manager)
3. Appointing Committee members cannot act as referees for candidates being interviewed;
4. Training in Recruitment and Selection is mandatory;
5. Careful consideration should be given to take account of principles of Equality and Diversity.
Appointing Committee Membership – See Appointing Committee Membership
>>>Move to Short listing