Equality and Diversity E-Learning
University of Glasgow is committed to promoting equality in all its activities and aims to provide a work, learning, research and teaching environment free from discrimination and unfair treatment.
We all need to be aware of our individual and collective responsibility in relation to equality following the introduction of the Equality Act 2010.
The Equality and Diversity Unit, with support from the Secretary of Court, has procured and developed two e-learning based equality and diversity training courses entitled Equality and Diversity Essentials and Managing Diversity.
The courses take between 60 and 75 minutes to complete and you can work through them at your own speed. You can stop the course at any point and resume from that same point.
E-Learning Courses Available
For all staff - Equality and Diversity Essentials (75 minutes)
This module should be completed by all staff. It outlines the nine protected characteristics covered under the Equality Act 2010. The module outlines definitions such as the different forms of discrimination (direct, indirect etc), what constitutes bullying or harassment, and provides a brief overview on cultural awareness. The course includes a short test for participants completing the module.
- Understand what equality and diversity are and why they are important.
- Review the key legislation and its implications.
- Examine ways to breakdown barriers to equality and diversity – prejudice, preconceptions and stereotypes.
- Explore key tips and guidelines for promoting equality and diversity.
For Managers - Managing Diversity (60 minutes)
This module is aimed at managers and outlines how to manage diverse teams, and the benefits of this. The module provides practical information to managers in how to challenge unacceptable behaviour.
How to Access the Courses
The Equality and Diversity courses are housed on the University’s virtual learning site, Moodle.
Each course within Moodle requires an enrolment key.
Please email the EDU, requesting your particular area’s enrolment key, on email@example.com
First time Moodle users
All users of the course will need to login to Moodle – this requires that you have a GUID and associated password.
Register for a GUID
Existing Moodle users
Login to Moodle
Accessing the Equality and Diversity Training
Follow these instructions:
- Click into the Services section,
- Click Equality and Diversity Unit
Then under Sub-Categories
- Click into your own College or into University Services
- Click into your own School, Research Institute,
Graduate School , or Service Division
- Enter the enrolment key you should already have received from EDU
- Click the link for Equality & Diversity Essentials or Managing Diversity
- Click on the course name again
- After the opening sequence click Start Course
The course will now start, and will run through some set up features to begin with.