Personal data about an individual must not be processed unless one of the following conditions are met:
- The individual has given their consent to the processing;
- The processing is necessary to meet a contract with the individual;
- The processing is required under a legal obligation;
- The processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the individual;
- The processing is necessary to carry out public functions;
- The processing is necessary to pursue the legitimate interests of the processor or a third pary.
- Consent must be specific and informed and requires that the individual is fully informed, and understands, the purposes for which the personal data is being collected, the length of time that personal data will be retained, and details of any third parties to whom the personal data will be disclosed. The processing of sensitive personal data requires the explicit consent of the individual.