University of Glasgow Logo image

Private Accommodation

Image of a University residence


Residence Guide Introduction
Types of Accommodation
General Advice & Points to Watch
Where else to look for private accommodation
Purchasing a flat or house
Search the Private Accommodation Database

The Accommodation Office maintains a register of private accommodation which is available on our web-site (click here to access the Private Accommodation Database). Listings can also be collected from the Accommodation Office and are updated every Tuesday.

This is an information only service and should be treated with the same care and caution as other private accommodation advertisements.

We would strongly recommend you collect a PAD (Private Accommodation Database) Guide from the Accommodation Office as this provides advice on various aspects of the private accommodation sector. It also explains in detail the legal requirements of renting and how a contract/lease is legally binding. The staff at the Accommodation Office will be happy to help you if necessary.

Types of Accommodation
There are 3 main types of accommodation that are available in the private sector:

1. Self-contained flats
These are in high demand, so once you have a few friends with whom you wish to share, it's best to start looking as soon as possible. They vary greatly in size, cost and quality, but you can be lucky and find a flat which suits your pocket and your needs. Most flats operate over a twelve month lease, so you will usually have to pay, even if you are not in Glasgow over the holidays.

2. Bedsits
Consisting of a single room, sharing facilities with other. These can be located in private homes and in all bedsit properties. Bills are usually extra and you will usually supply your own linen, towels and utensils.

3. Lodgings
These are less common, but can still be found. Usually a single room in a private home, for five or seven days a week with evening meals provided. Arrangements for bills vary, so always check first.

General Advice & Points to Watch
Renting a flat is a continuing and binding obligation - always check you know all you will be required to do before committing yourself.

HMO Licences
Before signing any tenancy agreements, students are advised to check with the landlord that the flat has planning permission for multiple occupancy use and more importantly that there are no enforcement notices prohibiting multiple occupancy use. Advice can be obtained from Glasgow District Council Planning Department regarding the planning situation of any property (Tel 0141 287 6531). N.B. From 1st October 2003 all flats housing 3 or more students should have applied for a licence.

Landlord Registration
Check if your landlord is registered. From 30th April 2006, all private landlords letting properties in Scotland must have applied for registration in the register of landlords. Resident landlords letting part of their own home are exempt under this scheme.

The aim of landlord registration is to ensure that all private landlords in Scotland are 'fit and proper' to be letting residential property. The requirement will help local authorities to remove disreputable landlords from the market and protect tenants and their neighbours from the impact of antisocial behaviour and mismanaged property on the wider community.

For further information on landlord registration across Scotland:

Rents and Deposits
You should know exactly how much the rent is, when and how you pay. It is better to pay by cheque, or to be sure you get a receipt if paying by cash. Don't forget you must be sure of being able to keep up with the rent payments before you commit yourself. Most landlords require a deposit to cover any damage to the property or its contents, and to cover any outstanding bills at the end of the tenancy. It is usually about one month's rent, and is recoverable at the end of the tenancy, as long as no damage has been done and all bills have been paid. Remember to keep all receipts until the end of the contract and deposits have been refunded.

Make sure you read carefully and understand the conditions of the contract. Note carefully the period of the lease and the rental due.

Make sure you receive and check the inventory with the landlord prior to signing the lease. Always keep a copy. If there is no inventory make one yourself and ask the landlord to check it.

If in doubt ask for advice - check first - sign later!

Where else to look for Private Accommodation
The Herald and the Glasgow Evening Times carry adverts on Tuesday and Thursday.

Notice Boards
In both Unions and the Students' Representative Council and all over Campus.

Property Agents

They can only charge you once you accept the accommodation.


Many local shops carry ads in their windows or on notice boards.

Purchasing a Flat or House
You or your parents may be considering, as an option to renting, the purchase of a house or flat. It is important to realise that if you buy a flat or house and arrange for others to live in the flat with you, you may be creating a "house in multiple occupation".

Such a flat or house would require to be registered, by you, with the Local Authority and it is also likely that you will require Planning Permission to operate such a flat or house in multiple occupation.

Furthermore the accommodation will either require to be licensed now or in the near future and the timing of this will depend on the number of residents.

It is recommended that before you purchase a flat or house that you discuss your proposal with both of the following Local Authority Officers.

Registration/Licensing Planning Permission
Mr John Docherty Ms Rattray
Glasgow City Council Glasgow City Council
HMO Unit Development and Regeneration Services
Nye Bevan House Development Control
20 India Street 231 George Street
Glasgow G2 4PF Glasgow G1 1RX
Tel No: 0141 287 6531 Tel No: 0141 287 5449


^ top of page
Telephone: 0141 330 4743
Fax: 0141 330 4080
73 Great George Street
Glasgow, G12 8RR, Scotland, UK
E-mail -