Professor Ya Ping Wang
- Chair in Global City Futures (Urban Studies)
telephone: 0141 330 5307
Ya Ping studied Geography in China and Town Planning in Scotland. After gaining his PhD from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh in 1991, he worked there as post-doctoral research fellow, lecturer and reader in planning and housing. He was promoted to professor in urban studies in 2008. He was the founding Director of Scottish Centre for Chinese Urban and Environmental Studies, School of the Built Environment, Heriot-Watt University from 2007 to 2012.
Ya Ping was Head of Urban Studies at University of Glasgow from 2013-15. He is a Fellow of Academy of Social Sciences (FAcSS) and a Chartered Member of the Royal Town Planning Institutes (MRTPI).
Ya Ping is a well known researcher on Chinese housing and urban development. His research was supported by the ESRC, DFID, British Academy, British Council, Leverhulme Trust, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy and various Chinese sources including NSFC. Apart from publishing a series of international journal articles, Ya Ping is the author of Urban Poverty, Housing and Social Change in China (Routledge, 2004), co-author of Housing Policy and Practice in China (Macmillan and St Martin's Press, 1999, with Alan Murie) and Planning and Housing in the Rapidly Urbanising World (Routledge, 2007, with Paul Jenkins and Harry Smith).
Ya Ping currently leads two major ESRC and China collaborative research projects.
China’s urban transformation and East Asian cities. Specific research areas include urban planning, urban housing systems, housing development, housing policy and reform, urban poverty, migrant living conditions, urban villages, urban sprawl and land development, social change in cities.
Wang, Y.P., Shao, L., Murie, A., and Cheng, J. (2012) The maturation of the neo-liberal housing market in urban China. Housing Studies, 27(3), pp. 343-359. (doi:10.1080/02673037.2012.651106)
Wang, Y.P., Wang, Y., and Wu, J. (2009) Urbanization and informal development in China: Urban villages in Shenzhen. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 33(4), pp. 957-973. (doi:10.1111/j.1468-2427.2009.00891.x)
Wang, Y.P. (2012) Housing the urban poor in a marketised system in China. Urban Policy and Research, 30(4), pp. 423-441. (doi:10.1080/08111146.2012.738192)
Wang, Y.P., and Murie, A. (2011) The new affordable and social housing provision system in China: Implications for comparative housing studies. International Journal of Housing Policy, 11(3), pp. 237-254.
‘The Remaking of Chinese Urban Neighbourhoods: socio-spatial transformation and access to public services’ (ESRC and NSFC – Natural Science Foundation of China), PI with over 20 researchers in Glasgow and Nankai University in China, 2016-2018.
ESRC International Centre Partnerships China: Urban Transformation: ‘Urban Development, Migration, Segregation and Inequality’ (ESRC and CASS – China Academy of Social Sciences), PI with over 20 academic researchers from University of Glasgow, University of Sheffield and Institute of Urban Development and Environmental Studies of CASS, 2015-2018.
‘Village Lead Land and Property Development in China: A study of current practice in the successful villages’ (Lincoln Institute of Land Policy), with Professor Yanglin Wang (Beijing University, China) 2013-14
‘Urbanisation Process and its Environmental Impacts in Yingchuan Plain’ with Dr J. Gong; and ‘Oasis Formation Process and Driving Forces in the Beida River catchment area in the last 30 years’ with Professor J.M. Zhang (both at Lanzhou University, supported by the Ministry of Education, China: Chunhui Project), 2012-14
‘Housing market performance in small cities and towns in China’ (Peking University – Lincoln Institute Centre for Urban Development and Land Policy, Research Fellowship) 2010-2011.
‘Urban sprawl and landless farmers in major Chinese cities’ (Leverhulme Trust, Research Fellowship) 2007-2009
‘Housing for Rural Migrants in Chinese Cities: the case study of Shenzhen’ (British Academy, Larger Research Grant Scheme), with Professor Yanglin Wang (Beijing University, China) 2005-2007.
‘Housing Reform and Provision in State Owned Enterprises in China’ (British Council) 2002-2003.
‘Social Implications of Urban Reform in China: A case study of housing for the poor in Shenyang and Chongqing’ (ESCOR of DFID), with Professor Y Dai (Liaoning University) and Professor H Long (Chongqing University) 1999-2001.
‘Housing reform and its impact on the urban poor in China’ (British Academy) 1998-1999.
‘Urban housing policy and reform in China’ (ESRC) with Alan Murie1995-1997 (project rated ‘Outstanding’ by the ESRC).
Weikai Wang: Socio-spatial transformation in Chinese cities and access to public services (2016 First Supervisor).
Liyuan Zhuang: Neighbourhood Attachment and Social participation in Chinese Cities: A Case Study of Chengdu (2015- Secondary Supervisor).
Youliang Guo: Urban Village Redevelopment in Guangzhou (CSC student 2014, Secondary supervisor)
Yan WANG: Social Housing Policy in Inland Chinese Cities, case study of Yingchuan City (2011- second supervisor)
Huifang (Linda) CONG: Urban Villages and their redevelopment in Chinese Cities a case study of Weihai in Shandong Province (2011- 12 first, from 2013 second supervisor) Heriot-Watt University Studentship.
Aljabri, Hanan A: The effectiveness of the planning process in creating sustainable, high-quality urban design in Oman (2011-12, first supervisor)
Yiti WANG: Social housing policy development in China, (Joint Training student with the School of Architecture in Tsinghua University, Beijing, 2009-2012, with 12 months at Heriot-Watt University, co-supervisor)
Md. Ashiq-Ur-Rahman: Housing the Urban Poor in Bangladesh: A Study of Housing Conditions, Policies and Organisations (2009-2012, first supervisor) Heriot-Watt University Studentship.
Wenhao XUAN: Affordable Housing Provision in UK and China (Joint Training student with the School of Architecture in Tsinghua University, Beijing, 2007-2009, with 6 months at Heriot-Watt University, co-supervisor)
Tanjil Sowgat: Pro-poor planning in Bangladesh: A Case Study of Khulna city (2007-2012, first supervisor) Heriot-Watt University Studentship.
Yun QIAN: Urban Regeneration and Community Development in China and Britain, (2005-2009, first supervisor), ORS award and Heriot-Watt University James Watt Scholarship)
Juan JING: Prospects and Problems of High-Rise Housing Estates in China – a case study of Shenzhen, with references in experiences in Europe, (2004-08, first supervisor) ORS award and Heriot-Watt University James Watt Scholarship.
PhD and MPhil examined
Examined over 25 research thesis, including the following universities: Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, City University of Hong Kong, Edinburgh College of Art, Heriot-Watt, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kent, King’s College of London, Liverpool, London School of Economics and Political Science, Manchester, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Nottingham, Sheffield, The University of Hong Kong and Utrecht University.
- Fellow of Academy of Social Sciences (FAcSS)
- Chartered Member of Royal Town Planning Institute (MRTPI)
- Fellow of Royal Geographical Society (RGS/IBG)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Global Chinese Real Estate Congress (Member of Directors)
- Member of Asia-Pacific Network for Housing Research
- Member of the Urban China Research International Network (UCRIN)
External Appointments and Research Fellowships
- University Grants Committee (UGC) of Hong Kong: Member of the Standing Review Board for the Social Science Penal (2012), Member of Sub-Panel II: Social Sciences (2013).
- Hong Kong Baptist University: International Fellow of, hosted by the Geography Department and David C. Lam Institute for East-West Studies. February to May, 2011.
- Peking University – Lincoln Institute Centre for Urban Development and Land Policy: Visiting Research Fellowship, 2010-2011.
- University of Westminster: external examiner for the International Planning and Sustainable Development MA programme, 2010-2013.
- Leverhulme Trust: Research Fellowship, 2007-2009.
- Natural Science Foundation of China (Main research funding body in China): International Expert for the Research Grant Review Panel for the Division I of Earth Science (Geography) 2005.
- Xi’an Jiaotong University: Visiting Professor, hosted by the Real Estate Research Centre, 2008.
- Pearl River Delta Planning and Development Study Project, Member of the Advisory Committee 2005-2007.
- Pacific Asia Network for Housing Research: Joint Co-ordinator for ‘Social Housing Reform in Asia-Pacific’ research group, 2002-2004.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development, and The Financial and Economic Committee of the National People’s Congress, P.R. China: Invited international expert at The International Conference of Public Housing Policy System, October 2009 (sponsored by GTZ Germany).
Journal Editing and Management Board Membership
- Housing Studies: Member of the Management Board (from 2005-2016) and Reviews Editor (2006-2010), International Advisory Board Member (2016-)
- International Journal of Housing Policy, Member of the Advisory Committee (from May 2010)
- Asian Geographer: Member of International Editorial Advisory Board (from 2011)
- Housing Studies (in Chinese published in Taiwan): Member of Management Committee, (since 2006)
- Community Design (in Chinese): Member of the Editorial Committee (2011-)