- Asylum and Immigration Law
- Contemporary French Social Theory
- Anti-Racist Collective Action
- Racism and Nationalism
Current Research Students
- Thesis title: 'The Transformation from "Immigrants" to "Citizens" – A Comparison of the Naturalisation Process in Britain and Germany Today'. Funder: ESRC Studentship. Start date: September 2011. Co-supervisor: Prof. Satnam Virdee. (RG co-supervisor from August 2012.)
- Thesis title: ‘How do asylum seekers and refused asylum seekers negotiate risk when seeking ‘wellness’ in Scotland?’ Funder: ESRC Studentship. Start date: September 2012. Co-supervisors: Dr Lucy Pickering, Prof. Alison Phipps.
- Thesis title: 'Asylum Processes in Scotland: subjective legal reasoning and judicial decision-making'. Start date: October 2008. Funder: ASRF Doctoral Scholarship. Co-supervisor: Ms Sarah Craig.
- Thesis title: ‘The lived experience of Southern Sudanese nationals amidst the move towards Southern Sudanese independence’. Start date: January 2011. Co-supervisor: Prof. Satnam Virdee.
- Thesis title: ‘Swedish-speaking Finns: A Multi-Method Qualitative Study’. Start date: September 2011. Funder: University of Glasgow Scholarship. Co-supervisor: Dr Moya Flynn.
- Thesis title: ‘The Legacy of Solihull: A critique of previous and existing early legal advice models of support for asylum seekers in the United Kingdom’.Co-supervisor: Ms Sarah Craig.
Past Research Students
Brandi Lee Dennell – ‘Equality Works: How One Race Equality Centre Conceptualises, Articulates and Performs the Idea of Equality in Scotland’ (PhD Thesis, Social Anthropology, University of Edinburgh, 2009)